Different types of furniture call for different ways to clean them. For example, the way leather furniture is cleaned is not the same way that fabric furniture is cleaned. Before cleaning furniture however, ensure that you read the manufacturer’s label to ensure that you make use of the best upholstery cleaner. Thanks to the universal furniture codes, you can safely clean your furniture.
A Look at some of the codes used to help you clean your furniture the right way:
- When you find the letter “W” on the cleaning instructions, it means that you need to make use of foam or water-based detergents to clean the fabric. The water used should be distilled and not tap water since the latter often contains minerals that could cause ringed or faded stains.
- When you find the letter “S” it means that a mild and water free product should be used. It is better to dry clean the furniture as a whole and not in parts to ensure even aging of the material.
- “WS” on the cleaning label means that dependent on the stains on the fabric, you need to make use of water based cleaner or water free cleaner.
- The letter “X” indicates a professional is recommended to clean the furniture and that you should only brush or brush the furniture.
Now that the cleaning labels have been discussed, let us look at various ways on how to clean upholstery.
Before buying just about any upholstery cleaner, ensure that you are buying the right product for the furniture you have.
- Cotton fabrics should be kept away from direct sunlight as they tend to fade. They can be cleaned with soap and water if needed.
- Canvas on furniture calls for frequent vacuuming since the flat surface has a tendency of holding dirt particles.
- In case you have Damask furniture, ensure that you use the brush or vacuum gently in order to avoid breaking threads.
- For linen furniture, professional cleaning is recommended. In addition, like cotton furniture, it should be kept away from direct sunlight.
- Furniture that comprise of microfibers are an ideal choice for families with children since soap and water can be utilized in cleaning them.
- Wools and wool blends can do well with spot cleaning
- Silk fabric on furniture calls for professional cleaning when soiled. In addition, it should also be kept away from direct sunlight.
- Leather needs to be